Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Who Says There's No ROI in Social Media? Or How To Get A Loaner Car Via Twitter


Yes, social media is becoming more prevalent in organizations large and small, but we're still very early in a longer-term timeline. The real emerging consideration inside organizations is determining the best way to create a social layer in the enterprise architecture that lifts all internal priorities -- marketing, CRM, branding, lead generation, etc.

I wanted to share an unfolding situation in my own life to add a twist on the traditional hunt for ROI. Last week I was offered a loaner from a luxury car maker via Twitter, as well as a free sample of tire repair gunk, also via Twitter, all because I tweeted my dissatisfaction with the tire service from my car dealership.

The dialog with both companies took place in the public Tweet stream ... but my car's service team was clueless because they are not on Twitter. No, they sent out the automated email survey and logged in the obligatory voice mail to me, then left early for the weekend. Ho hum. P.S. -- it's a Mercedes dealership!

But wait -- It gets better. That evening I shared what happened with the Social Media Marketing class I teach for UCLA Extension. A participant in the class contacted the tire repair company, relayed the story, and may have a new ad client on a major radio station in the LA market.

No comments: