Here are my predictions for 10 social media trends during 2009. Of course, some of these will be wrong. I’ll miss others. But from a general perspective, it’s clear that social media is going to be changing fast. It’ll remain a moving target for marketers, yet an exciting technology for developers and users.
So here are my picks. What are yours?
- Twitter will be more fully integrated with mainstream social networks (MySpace, Facebook, etc.)
- More Fortune 500 businesses will set up Twitter accounts and C-level blogs
- More social networking consolidation tools for one-stop profile and posting management will emerge
- Marketers will explore novel approaches to ad strategies on social networks
- Advertisers will implement improved tools and metrics to gauge the ROI of social media ad spend
- Political campaigns will follow Obama’s model in marketing through social media channels
- Multi-media press releases will integrate more fully into social media channels
- Advertisers will increase use of viral video as a standard ad strategy
- Methods and techniques will evolve to integrate social media experiences into real life
- Fortune 500 companies will increasingly adopt internal social media for management efficiency gains