Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mediapost's Social Insider

Students and other readers of this blog might want to subscribe to this newsletter. I've found it helpful at times, and quite interesting. Today's post is about an old brand Parkay (margarine):

Parkay Could Have Used Social Media To, Well, Pass The Parkay
by Catharine P. Taylor, Wednesday, Nov 26, 2008 1:30 PM ET


Maybe I've been focusing on this social media thing for too long, because lately I seem to look for a social media aspect to every ad campaign I read about.

And so it was, yesterday morning, that I came across a story in Marketing Daily about the resurrection of the famed "Talking Tub" campaign for Parkay. You know -- the commercials where the tub of margarine actually talks, with the rim of its lid acting as the upper lip? Hope I'm not dating myself.

The good news -- for ad nostalgia enthusiasts -- is that the campaign is back. The bad news, is that, from what I can tell, the brand missed one of the most obvious, and admittedly silly, social media opportunities since the first spoof commercial was uploaded to YouTube. As I read the story, I kept hunting for the social media angle... and it wasn't there. More here

No comments: